Another PCT training post for you!
As you definitely know by now, Michael and I are hiking the PCT and Colorado Trail this summer. You can read about our goals here.
I realize that we have some aggressive goals, so I’m trying to train for it as much as I can. Preparing my body to hike 25 miles a day for 4-5 months is a big ask. A lot of people say that your PCT training is basically the first month of the hike; however, I want to start the trail as prepared as possible in order to feel strong and minimize risk of injury.
My minimum goals for each week are:
- Hike x1
- Run x2
- Stairmill or incline walking x2
- Strength training workout x2
Running trumps the stairmill and hiking trumps both the stairmill and running. If I get in an extra hike, but only squeeze in one run I’m totally fine with that.
PCT Training Week 11
- Sun March 10: 5-mile run
- Mon March 11: Walker Ranch Loop hike
- Tues March 12: 3.1-mile run
- Wed March 13: .5-mile incline walk + this HIIT workout
- Thurs March 14: 3.5-mile incline walk
- Fri March 15: this leg workout
- Sat March 17: North Table Mountain hike
It was an interesting week. I hit my longest run since heart surgery (5 miles!!) and fit in a nice hike with Michael before getting an annoying cold that left me feeling very tired. Afterwards, I took things easier than I typically do, but was still able to do some sort of activity each day.
Also, it is mud season right now in Colorado. During mine and Michael’s hike around North Table Mountain on Saturday the trail was terrible – so, so muddy. Hiking in thick mud is annoying and walking off trail ruins the area, so it’s kind of a lose-lose situation. I might have to hold off on hiking for a week or two until the trails dry up a little more.
PCT Training Week 12
- Sun March 18: 3.1-mile run
- Mon March 19: 15-mile bike + 2-mile incline walk
- Tues March 20: 4-mile run
- Wed March 21: 5.1-mile run
- Thurs March 22: 15-mile bike + this leg workout
- Fri March 23: 2-mile incline walk + 3-mile bike
- Sat March 24: This upper body HIIT workout with my sister
The annoying cold is still dragging on. Why do they take forever to go away?!
Fortunately, I got a couple of nice runs in, even though my pace was slower than normal. I didn’t hike because of the mud situation. Hopefully I can hit the trail next week, because it’s really starting to feel like spring out here!
Rawlogy was nice enough to send Michael and I some cork massage balls to bring with us on the PCT. They are only 1-2 ounces, so we can each bring one without weighing down our packs.
- 2 hikes, 2 runs, 1 stairmill/incline walk, 2 strength training, 1 walk
- 0 hikes, 3 runs, 2 stairmill/incline walk, 2 strength training, 3 bike
T – 24 days!
Anyone else celebrate pi day on 3/14?!