A summary of my PCT training weeks 5 & 6.
PCT TRAINING GOALS
Michael and I will be starting the Pacific Crest Trail on April 18. We are just over 2 months away – woohoo! You can read more about our PCT goals here.
I know it’s not quite feasible to train my body to hike 25 miles per day. In fact, a lot of people say that your PCT training is basically the first month of the hike; however, I want to start the trail as prepared as possible in order to minimize risk of injury.
My minimum goals for each week are:
- Hike x1
- Run x2
- Stairmill x2
- Strength training workout x2
- Yoga x1 or at least a lot of stretching
Running trumps the stairmill and hiking trumps both the stairmill and running. If I get in an extra hike, but only do one session on the stairmill I’ll consider it a win.
PCT Training Week 5
- January 27: Mount Galbraith hike with my friend Anna and her pug, Louie, followed by brunch at Abejas (where Michael works) – Woohoo!
- January 28: 15-mile bike + this 30-minute leg workout (I did the full workout, plus one more round of all the exercises) + abs + stretching
- January 29: 30-minute stairmill + 9-mile bike
- January 30: Cycle class at High Ride Cycle with my friends Alana and Anna – you can get your first three classes for $15 total!
- January 31: 3-mile run + barre cardio + a sunset Mount Galbraith hike with Michael
- February 1: Yoga at Feral Mountain Co (there is a donation-based class every Friday at 7:00am!) + 4-mile walk Waterton Canyon with Lindsey
- February 2: 8-mile hike in White Ranch Open Space Park
Between the cycle classes, yoga, and hikes/walk with friends it was a very social week of exercise!
Fun side note: Michael and I recorded a podcast with Backpacker Radio on Saturday. The episode comes out on Valentine’s Day!
PCT Training Week 6
- February 3: Cycle class at High Ride Cycle
- February 4: 13-mile hike in Centennial Cone Park with Michael
- February 5: Cycle class at High Ride Cycle
- February 6: 30-minute stairmill + 6-mile bike + this upper body workout
- February 7: 30-minute stairmill + 3.1-mile run
- February 8: 3.1-mile run + this pyramid workout + stretching
- February 9: Ski day at Vail with my friends Katie and Christy
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I ran on the treadmill and *gasp* enjoyed it. I don’t know how or why, but I did. I think watching episodes of Schnitt’s Creek helped keep me entertained.
- 3 hikes, 1 run, 1 stairmill, 2 strength training, 1 yoga, 3 bike, 1 walk
What a week – 3 awesome hikes and I even went to a yoga class! I hope to have more weeks like this going forward.
- 1 hike, 2 runs, 2 stairmill, 3 strength training, 0 yoga, 3 bike
No yoga this week. I know how important yoga is and understand the positive effects it has on both my body and mind, but for some reason it is quite difficult to get myself to do it.