Below is my PCT training for weeks 7 & 8.
I finally started putting together some strength workouts for myself and shared them below. Try them out! I was sore after the full body strength workout.
PCT Training Goals
Michael and I will be starting the Pacific Crest Trail on April 18. We are just under 2 months away and I AM SO EXCITED. You can read about our PCT goals here.
I realize that it’s not quite feasible to train my body to hike 25 miles per day for 120 days. In fact, a lot of people say that your PCT training is basically the first month of the hike; however, I want to start the trail as prepared as possible in order to minimize risk of injury.
My minimum goals for each week are:
- Hike x1
- Run x2
- Stairmill x2
- Strength training workout x2
Running trumps the stairmill and hiking trumps both the stairmill and running. If I get in an extra hike, but only do one session on the stairmill I’ll consider it a win.
I just deleted yoga from my weekly goals. I haven’t been doing it and I probably won’t. I am going to focus on doing a little stretching after every workout. If I do get some yoga in it’ll be bonus points for me.
PCT Training Week 7
- Sun, February 10: 3-mile run + 9.3-mile bike
- Mon, February 11: 30-minute stairmill + this strength conditioning kettlebell workout + abs + 9-mile bike
- Tues, February 12: 30-minute stairmill + 6-mile bike
- Wed, February 13: 3.5-mile run
- Thurs, February 14: Green Mountain hike/run
- Fri, February 15: 9-mile bike + strength & cardio superset workout (see below)
- Sat, February 16: 9-mile bike
I took myself out on a little Valentine’s Day hike to Green Mountain. It was a windy, muddy day, but it was so refreshing. I hiked the uphills and ran the flat and downhill parts. I need more of this type of movement in my life!
PCT Training Week 8
- Sun, February 17: 4-mile run
- Mon, February 18: 30-min stairmill + this dumbbell superset HIIT workout + 6-mile bike
- Tues, February 19: 30-min stairmill + 3.25-mile run
- Wed, February 20: 9-mile bike + resistance band workout
- Thurs, February 21: 17-mile bike + 3.25-mile run
- Fri, February 22: 9-mile bike + full body strength workout (see below)
- Sat, February 23: 3.5-mile run
Unfortunately, I didn’t get any hiking in this week. We’re actually having a semi-real winter here in Denver. AKA, it has snowed more than once. My normal trails are either covered in fresh snow or are super muddy. Instead I focused more on running and strength training this week. I’m starting to like running again and it’s making me really happy.
- 1 hike, 2 runs, 2 stairmill, 2 strength training, 5 bike
I hit all the goals this week and even did quite a bit of stretching!
- 0 hikes, 4 runs, 2 stairmill, 3 strength training, 4 bike
As I mentioned, no hikes this week, but plenty of running and biking made up for it.
Strength & Cardio Superset Workout
This workout is comprised of 3 supersets, each with 1 lower body exercise, 1 upper body exercise, and 1 cardio exercise. Complete each strength exercise for 12 reps and each cardio exercise for 30 seconds. Do each superset 3 times. Use the appropriate dumbbells for your abilities.
Full Body Strength Workout
This is a great workout! Each superset is upper body, lower body, and core exercises. Complete 15 reps of each exercise (unless otherwise noted) and do each superset a total of 3 times. Use whatever dumbbell weight works for your body. I went heavy on the rows, light on the shoulders, and medium on everything else. If you only have access to one set up dumbbells, feel free to adjust the reps slightly.
I was sore after this one. Do it!
Let me know if you are interested in seeing more workouts and if you’d like descriptions for each exercise. I used to write out detailed instructions (examples 1, 2, and 3) and will again if there is interest! Let me know in the comments.