It has been one year (ONE YEAR!!) since I have launched Just J.Faye. It’s just insane. What an incredible year it has been.
But more on that later, first these coconut quinoa matcha parfaits.
These parfaits are just little jars of happiness – delicious, healthy, easy, pretty. The whole package, right here.
This is what we have going on in these jars:
- Layer 1 = quinoa cooked with coconut milk.
- Layer 2 = coconut Greek yogurt mixed with matcha powder and chopped banana.
- Layer 3 = whipped coconut cream.
- Layer 4 = sprinkles of flaked coconut and chopped pistachios.
Prepare each layer then go ahead and assemble! You can even make everything in advance the night before, store in the refrigerator in separate containers, and then put them together in the morning. Easy!
Plus, things just taste better in jars, don’t they?
No, it’ll taste the same in a bowl, but jars are fun.
By the way, did you notice all the ingredients? Quinoa and Greek yogurt for protein, matcha powder for energy and antioxidants, and coconut for healthy fats. Isn’t it just the best when delicious and pretty food is good for you?! Kinda like this salad.
Oddly enough my first recipe way back 1 year ago also included quinoa, bananas, nuts, and coconut. Coincidence? Sort of. I was dreaming up these little parfaits for a few weeks and once I realized the similarities between the two recipes, I knew it would be perfect to post as my 1-year “blogiversary” recipe.
I have learned SO MUCH in the past year – about photography (ummm… have you noticed here to here), recipe development, exercise, SEO (I know what it means now), work/life/blog balance, blogging in general, etc. It’s just been so much fun. I still have a lot to learn, but I’m pretty excited about it.
Thank you to everyone who has been following along from the start, to everyone who has picked up along the way, to everyone who has made a recipe or tried a workout, to everyone who has commented on/pinned/linked/shared posts, to everyone who just stopped by that one time for 5 seconds. I love you all.
I’m looking forward to a great Year 2 here on Just J.Faye and I hope you are too!
Let’s go make ourselves a happy, healthy little breakfast treat, pour a cup of coffee, and be glad.
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup lite coconut milk, divided
- 5.3 oz coconut Greek yogurt
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Additional toppings: unsweetened coconut flakes and chopped pistachios
- For the coconut quinoa: In a small saucepot stir together the quinoa and ¾ cup of lite coconut milk. Bring to a boil, decrease to simmer, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the matcha Greek yogurt: In a small bowl stir together the coconut Greek yogurt, chopped banana, and matcha powder until well combined. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the coconut whipped cream: Flip the can of chilled coconut milk upside-down. Open the can and pour the water out to another container. Save for another use. Place the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix with a hand blender or a stand-up mixer until it reaches the consistency of whipped cream. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To assemble: Split the coconut quinoa into two bowls (or mason jars!), then divide the matcha Greek yogurt between the two. Top with coconut whipped cream, coconut flakes, and chopped pistachios.
To make this vegan, use almond or coconut yogurt instead of Greek yogurt.
If you are not a coconut fan, feel free to use almond milk instead of coconut milk in the quinoa, vanilla or plain Greek yogurt instead of coconut Greek yogurt, and regular whipped cream instead of coconut whipped cream. It will still taste delicious!
As if my 1-year blogiversary wasn’t enough to celebrate today, it’s also my big brother’s birthday. He’s one of the most intelligent and frustrating people I know. His hobbies, drive, and sense of humor never cease to surprise me. Today he turns 30.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JON! I’m excited to celebrate later today.