- Usually my breakfasts are consistent day-to-day throughout the week, but I think I had something different everyday: muesli, fruit & yogurt, chocolate chip raspberry banana bread (<- highly recommend you make), smoothies. All good ways to start the day!
- I made some pork stir fry with onion, broccoli, red peppers, and sugar snap peas for dinner on Monday and then ate leftovers for lunch the rest of the week. I also made stir fry for my other dinners, but used onion, broccoli, carrots, kale, ginger, and a soft boiled egg. It’s such a simple, delicious, healthy, quick meal!! I can’t get enough.
- On Wednesday I took my younger brother out for a birthday dinner at Tiny Diner. I got the Pueblo Bowl, he got the Masa Gnocchi, and his boyfriend got the burger. Everything was so delicious!! I would love to go back there and sit on the patio.
- Friday evening was beautiful, so I met up with some friends to eat on the patio at Aster Café. This place is one of my favorites and also is conveniently located within walking distance from me. We had some appetizers (fresh vegetable crudite & Irish Dubliner cheese)) and I had the pear prosciutto pizza. A bottle of Malbec was involved as well. Obviously.
- My family celebrated my little brother’s birthday up at our cabin (AKA The Jabin) on Saturday night. My mom made new potatoes, a fruit and nut salad, baguette bread, and grilled ribs. Oh my goodness, those ribs! So good. Then she pulled out a lemon-blueberry birthday cake, which was equally amazing.
- Monday: Easy run + strength training. For the run I did 7.3 miles at 8:56 min/mile pace. For the strength training I did 3 sets each of the following circuits: 1st – chest press machine, lat pulldowns, triceps bench dips, squats, 2-minute plank hold; 2nd – bicep curls, front and lateral shoulder raises; 3rd – lying adductor raises, abductor raises, side plank hip dips, plank twists.
- Tuesday: Tempo workout. I did a 3-mile warm up + 25 minutes tempo + 2.5-mile cool down. I really wasn’t feeling this workout when I started, but I happened to run into my friend Lindsey (and her adorable new puppy!!!) who gave me some words of encouragement. It helped me power through. Tempo workouts are my least favorite – it’s a mental thing. Total = 8 miles; 8:59 min/mile pace.
- Wednesday: Easy run + treadmill intervals. I met up with my friend Monica in the morning for a nice run then later did some interval work on the treadmill. I really struggled with the intervals, because my legs felt heavy from Tuesday’s tempo run. I should have planned my week better and did the tempo run on Monday so that I could have more recovery in between. Next time. Total = 4.5 miles; 9:20 min/mile pace + 3.5 miles; varying pace.
- Thursday: Yoga. I took the DharmaCycle Yoga 2 class in the morning. It was my last day of my intro month pass, which is a bummer. I do really like the studio and am thinking about buying more classes.
- Friday: Long run. I had to fit in my long run before my friend Sarah got into town on Friday evening. Luckily, we just started our half-day Fridays at work (best thing ever) so I went out on my long run after I wrapped things up around noon. It was hot. I got sunburn on my shoulders and I did not bring my water bottle. Clearly not at all prepared for the heat. Lesson learned: wear sunscreen and bring water always. Also doing long runs by myself makes them significantly more difficult than doing them with other people. I did come across a random stranger on a bike who chatted and rode along side of me from miles 14 to 16. I welcomed the distraction. Total = 17 miles; 9:55 min/mile pace.
- Saturday: Walk. My friend Sarah and I went for a morning power walk (about 3/3.5 miles). We ended our walk at Whole Foods, grabbed some coffee, yogurt, blueberries, and WholeMe clusters and enjoyed a little breakfast outside. I love mornings like this!
- Sunday: Easy run. A nice morning run up north. Total = 7 miles; 9:30 min/mile pace.
- Totals: 1 strength training session, 1 yoga class, 1 walk, 5 runs (47.3 miles).
OTHER FUN THINGS:
- I already mentioned my little brother’s birthday dinner a few times, but it definitely was a fun part of the week. I think it’s the “year of Jordan”, so I’m excited to see everything that he is going to accomplish while he’s 22!
- My friend Sarah came to visit Minneapolis and stayed with me on Friday night before going to a bachelorette party the rest of the weekend. I met Sarah while we were both working in Tennessee and we instantly became good friends after bonding over Dumb & Dumber quotes. We’ve remained close over the years even though she lives in Phoenix and we only see each other a few times a year. She’s the one that inspired me to get into fitness and lead a healthier lifestyle. Basically, my life completely change because of her. She one of the funnest girls in the world, so it’s awesome whenever I get to hang out with her!
- Saturday I was up at The Jabin with the whole family. We pontooned all afternoon, visited Jack Pine brewery, ate an amazing meal, fished off the dock, had a bonfire, and watched a movie. Days like this are perfect. I love spending quality time with the fam.
The Jabin festivities with continue throughout the remainder of Memorial Day Weekend! The weather is so-so, but we’ll still have fun grilling, fishing, watching movies, reading, relaxing, hanging out, etc, etc. I hope your weekend is as awesome as mine has been so far. Be safe, have fun, and don’t forget to be grateful for everyone who served and lost their lives in the armed forces!